Mothers, Now Make Dry Fruits for your Young Ones at Home!!!
One of the best ways to calm the sugar tooth of kids is to give them a specific portion of fruits every day and this is counter-intuitive as well due to the health benefits of ‘fruits’. Some like to add fruits in their timely salads or simply use them as snacks as a part of their kid’s healthy meal plan, but those with an oven can create another enjoyable way to consume their favorite fruit.
Here’s how can make a natural candy out of your favorite fruit using an Oven:
- Choose a ripe fruit
- Wash it properly in cold water
- Remove pits, blemishes or stones if any
- Cut evenly for it to dry properly
For removing the skin – Some fruits have thick skin which if removed can give you better results. Fruits such as apples and peaches dry better when the skin is removed. For easy skin removal, just boil the fruit in water for 30 seconds and then transfer the same in iced water so that the saggy skin can come off easily.
To prevent or minimize discoloration – Soak the fruit for about 10 minutes in lemon juice and dry it.
How we do it?
- Preheat the oven at 140 to 150o F. If the fruits have been thinly sliced, then the temperature should be reduced accordingly. However, strawberries and other familiar berries do best at high temperature.
- Use baking paper or parchment paper to cover the sheets or pans, to be placed in the oven. Arrange fruits in layers or one and make sure there is space between pieces.
- Use a pizza screen or silicone pan liner to avoid curling up of the fruit as they dry.
- After placing the sheets or the pan in the oven, rotate it every 2 hours.
- Once the fruits dry up and feel like chewable leather-ish in texture… you know it’s ready!
General Timings for drying the fruits:
P.S: Once ready leave the fruits open for 4-5 days to get rid of the moisture. After the specified time you may store the candy fruits in an airtight container and enjoy them the entire season.
Sharing is caring