47th UAE National Day and 47 Amazing Facts…
As we celebrate the 47th UAE National Day, let us reflect on some auspicious values that unite us in this spirit of celebration. In this blog, we will be covering 47 amazing facts about UAE that not only enables the millions of people, irrespective of their nationality to coexists together but also establishes UAE as a dream nation across the globe. Any talk about the spirit of UAE is incomplete without the honourable mention of Late Sheikh Zayed, from whose vision the ‘spirit of the union’ was derived. The same vision now exists through His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the UAE and his fellow Emirati leaders because of who UAE today is one of the most sought-after and talked-about destinations.
Amazing facts about the UAE:
1. On Saturday, December 1, 2018, the Passport Index ranked the UAE passport as Number 1 globally, with visa-free entry to 167 countries worldwide.
2. Every year December 2nd is celebrated as UAE National Day, which marks the unification of the Emirates
3. Dubai Metro has its name in the Guinness Book of World Records for the longest driverless metro system, spanning 74.695 kilometres.
4. Late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan founded the UAE by unifying all the 7 emirates, which is why he is fondly referred to as the ‘Father of the Nation’. UAE as a federation consists of 7 emirates: Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ra’s al-Khaimah, Ajman, Umm al-Quwain and Fujairah.
5. The literacy rate of UAE is more than 93 per cent, which is impressive
6. Ever heard about an ATM that dispenses Gold Bars? The ATM installed at Emirates Palace Hotel, Abu Dhabi literally dispenses GOLD. You get to chose from a range of 320 gold products.
7. 70 % of the university graduates in the UAE are Women and they denote two-third of the government jobs
8. Dubai receives more than 12 million tourists every year.
9. Abu Dhabi’s ‘Saadiyat Island’ is a much talked about the upcoming cultural project, which will house 8 museums, including the largest Guggenheim museum in the world – Louvre Abu Dhabi and the ‘Zayed National Museum’.
10. Abu Dhabi will also be home to the world’s first concept of a ‘zero carbon, zero waste and a car-free city’.
11. Ferrari owns the largest indoor theme park in Abu Dhabi, with the world’s fastest rollercoaster ‘Rosso’
12. First 100 per cent Emirati-made satellite, ‘KhalifaSat’, was lifted off into space from Tanegashima Space Centre in Japan on October 29, 2018. KhalifaSat is set to be the most advanced Earth observation satellite for the UAE.
13. Dubai Parks and Resorts is the first integrated resort destination in the region with three world-class theme parks, one water park, Riverland Dubai, grand entrance plaza and Polynesian themed family resort.
14. The upcoming Hyperloop project could cut travel time between Abu Dhabi and Dubai to a mere 12 minutes.
15. Don’t get surprised if you see Robot Police Officer on patrol in Dubai, which was introduced in early 2017 as a concept. This Robo Police officer is capable of issuing fines and is equipped with facial recognition technology as well. The city is becoming technologically smart with every passing day.
16. In 2016, The world’s first fully functional 3D printed building was inaugurated in Dubai by His Highness Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai.
17. Burj Khalifa is the highest outdoor observation deck in the world, which is three times the height of Eiffel Tower.
18. Dubai is home to the world’s largest indoor theme park – IMG Worlds of Adventure. Opened to the public in 2016, this park is more or less the size of 28 football fields, measuring approx. 1.5 million square feet in size.
19. Dubai has one of the largest aquariums in the world with 10 million-litre tank at the Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo, which also contain more than 33,000 aquatic animals and the largest collection of sand tiger sharks anywhere. Rising to the third floor of The Dubai Mall, the aquarium is home to 140 species of sea life.
20. There are minimum 200, 000 species of fishes in the Atlantis aquarium in Dubai.
21. Camel Racing is a traditional UAE Sport, which has many followers. The beloved sport has survived many centuries and even today it enjoys a huge fan following.
22. Mega Projects in Dubai include 11 man-made Islands – Palm Jumeirah, Bluewaters Island, Jumeirah Bay Island, Dubai Maritime City, Pearl Jumeirah, Dubai Harbour, Deira Islands, The World Islands, Palm Jebel Ali, Marsa Al Arab and Burj Al Arab Isle.
23. Ski Dubai, the world’s largest artificial ski resort in Dubai spans 22,500 sq. m.
24. There are more than 200 nationalities residing in UAE.
25. Some major International Universities that offer educational programs in the UAE include names like – the Sorbonne, New York University, John’s Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
26. UAE boasts of a world-class healthcare infrastructure, thanks to its collaboration with renowned names like – the Cleveland Clinic, John’s Hopkins Medical School and Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.
27. UAE became the first oil-producing nation to back the ‘Kyoto’ protocol to the UN Convention on Climate Change, in the year 2005
28. HE Omar Bin Sultan Al Olama is the world’s first Minister of State for Artificial Intelligence.
29. UAE is one of the most charitable nations who has funded relief efforts worldwide with the likes of – Hurricane Katrina ($100 Million), Pakistan Earthquake ($100 Million), Tsunami Relief ($100 Million) and many more.
30. UAE is the first country in the Middle East to host the FIFA Club World Cup tournament, held in the year 2009.
31. Sheikha Lubna Al Quasimi was the first woman minister. She was appointed as the Minister of Foreign Trade in the year 2004.
32. In 2011, ‘Sara Al Qaiwani’ the first Emirati opera singer performed at the Carnegie Hall, NewYork (USA).
33. Upcoming technology concepts in the UAE include – Autonomous drone taxis, or Autonomous Air Taxi, which is a self-driving taxi service, self-driving cop cars and many more.
34. Other than their efficiency, Dubai Police is also known for their fleets of supercars like Lamborghinis, Ferraris and Bentleys
35. If you’re living under a rock then it’s good to know that UAE is hosting the World Expo 2020. The much-talked about the event for the global economic and cultural gathering will be held in Dubai.
36. Out of the seven emirates, Fujairah is the only region which is mountainous, the Hajjar Mountains being a primary attraction.
37. Out of all the emirates, Ras al-Khaimah receives the maximum rainfall and is considered to be the most fertile emirate.
38. Dine in a ’tilted’ environment. Capital Gate Hotel also is known as the Tilted Hotel leans at 18 degrees way more than the Leaning Tower of Pisa. The hotel is located in Abu Dhabi.
39. The ‘staff to suite’ ratio in Burj-Al-Arab is 8:1, which means for every 1 suite there are 8 people serving you. Not only the hotel has the world’s largest fleet of Rolls Royce’s for the guests, but people also get a 24-carat gold iPad for use during the stay.
40. Burj-Al-Arab is also the third tallest hotel in the world and it is one of the very few 7-Star Hotels
41. The Port of Jebel Ali is the largest man-made harbour, the biggest and also the busiest port in the Middle East.
42. Dubai Mall is the second-largest mall in the world by total land area and the 21st-largest shopping mall in the world by gross leasable area.
43. The crime rate in the UAE is relatively low, which is why it is considered to be one of the safest places to live.
44. The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi is one of the largest mosques in the world and can accommodate more than 40,000 worshippers and visitors.
45. UAE is one of the largest cultivators of ‘Dates’ in the world.
46. UAE Driving License is now accepted in 50 Countries, including 20 Arab countries.
47. Dubai’s Dubai Silicon Authority bagged the Guinness World Record for the largest painted wooden block mosaic displaying ‘Year of Zayed’ logo
One cannot cover the amazing UAE in mere 47 points or in even words for that matter. If you like what you just read, then give it a thumbs up and share it with your nears’ and dears’!